Today's webinar, Researching with Geoff - Live! went even better than I hoped for! A few weeks back I located Martin F. Brown's obituary which seemed to provide clues about what happened to his sisters. I waited until today to pursue the research, and in front of a capacity webinar audience of 1,000 live attendees, I used census records and a variety of websites to discover the identity of Martin's sister and her husband. They watched, listened, and even provided suggestions for me along the way. The unscripted style of presentation led to instruction on the following topics:
- How to scan an obituary
- How to add a citation to a digital image
- Where to organize the digital image
- Analysis of an obituary and how to enter it into Legacy
- Using Legacy's To Do List
- Using Legacy's Research Guidance
- Databases at FamilySearch
- Analysis of a census record and how to enter it into Legacy
- Analysis of a death and marriage index and how to enter into Legacy
- Using Legacy's Source Clipboard
- Using Legacy's custom events
- Using Legacy's Chronology View
- Creating a Research Plan
- and much more...
Thanks everyone for your participation today. And a special thanks to Ginny Sommarstrom who, afterwards, emailed me a copy of Martin F. Brown's obituary from the Seattle Daily Times. I hadn't even thought of looking there since I already had his death notice in the St. Paul Pioneer Press. Thanks, too, for comments like this from one of the viewers, "Geoff's enthusiasm for genealogy is infectious - if you haven't already got the bug you sure will have after a webinar with Geoff!" Yes, I do enjoy genealogy and love that I can share it with all of you!
View the recording
If you could not make it to the live event or just want to watch it again, the 1 hour 33 minute recording of Researching with Geoff - Live! is now available to view in our webinar archives. Visit www.LegacyFamilyTree.com/webinars.asp to watch. It will be available until August 29, 2012 for free.
Pre-order the webinar-on-CD
Own your own copy of Researching with Geoff - Live! by purchasing the webinar-on-CD for just $9.95. It includes the complete 1 hour 33 minute recording of the class and 6 pages of handouts. Click here for more information or to purchase.
Special discount coupon
The special discount coupon of research that was announced during the webinar is valid for 10% off anything in our online store through Monday, August 20, 2012.
Register for our upcoming webinars (free)
- The 5 C's for Success in Genealogy Today with Barbara Renick. August 22.
- Building a Family from Circumstantial Evidence, with Judy G. Russell, CG. August 29.
- Beyond the Arrival Date: Extracting More from Passenger Lists with Lisa Alzo. September 5.
- What is a 'Reasonably Exhaustive Search'? with Michael Hait. September 12.
- Getting Started with Heritage Collector Software with Kathleen Bitter
- Use Your Digital Camera to Copy Records with Mary Hill. September 19.
- Digital Research Guidance, Research Logs, and To Do Lists: FamilySearch, Research Wiki, and Legacy Family Tree with Geoff Rasmussen. September 26.
- Privacy and our Ancestors with Thomas MacEntee. October 3.
- Researching Your Irish Ancestors: Beyond the Basics with Judy Wight. October 10.
- Ten Brick Wall Tips for Intermediate Researchers with Marian Pierre-Louis, October 17.
- Your Civil War Ancestors: Beginning Your Research with Michael Hait. October 24.
- Breaking Down Your Irish Brick Wall with Judy Wight. October 31.
- Researching Your Canadian Ancestors - an Overview with Claire Brisson-Banks. November 7.
- Genealogy for Novices: Where Do We Begin with Linda Geiger. November 14.
- The Big 4 U.S. Record Sources with Mary Hill. November 28.
See you online!