Monday, August 3, 2020
Saturday, August 1, 2020
We've tallied the numbers and made a list of the Top 10 FamilyTreeWebinars.com classes for July 2020! Are your favorite topics or instructors among the list? Need something new to learn? Use the list to get inspired!
Each month thousands of Legacy Family Tree Webinar subscribers head for the library to learn new skills and techniques to help improve their genealogy research. Among the now-1,328 genealogy classes in the members-only library, these were the most frequently played during the month of July 2020. They aren't necessarily the newest classes but rather the topics that were sought out by our members.
Have you seen any of these classes? Are these among your favorites too? Some of these classes (and topics) might be new to you! Get inspired to learn more and make your genealogy journey more fun!
The Top 10 for July 2020
1. 50 More Websites Every Genealogist Should Know by Gena Philibert-Ortega
2. Turning dry facts into exciting narrative by Carol Baxter
3. Finding a Father for Molly - Using DNA by Jill Morelli, CG
4. Foundations in DNA 1 of 5: Genealogy and DNA by Blaine Bettinger, Ph.D., J.D.
5. Connecting the Dots – Introduction to Auto Clusters at MyHeritageDNA by Paul Woodbury
6. An Introduction to DNA Painter by Jonny Perl
7. 'What are the Odds?' An online tool that can help solve DNA puzzles by Jonny Perl
8. The 1939 Register for Family Historians by Fiona Brooker
9. Find Your Images Online with TinEye (TechZone) by Gena Philibert-Ortega
10. 50 Websites Every Genealogist Should Know by Gena Philibert-Ortega
11. Elusive Immigrant: The Search for Dora Lühr by Warren Bittner, CG
12. How to link Multiple Word Documents into One PDF (TechZone) by Amie Bowser Tennant
13. Foundations in DNA 2 of 5: DNA Overview by Blaine Bettinger, Ph.D., J.D.
14. Get Organized Using Scrivener Printable Index Cards (TechZone) by Lisa Alzo
15. Getting Started in Family History - 1- Home Sources by Cheri Hudson Passey
16. Getting Started in Family History - 5 - Vital Records by Cheri Hudson Passey
17. Foundations in DNA 3 of 5: Y-DNA by Blaine Bettinger, Ph.D., J.D.
18. Foundations in DNA 5 of 5: Autosomal DNA by Blaine Bettinger, Ph.D., J.D.
19. Så jobbar du med triangulering (Swedish) by Peter Sjölund
20. How MyHeritage Enhances your Photos for Genealogical Research by Tal Erlichman
The 2nd Runner-Ups
21. Getting Started in Family History - 7 - Cemetery and Church Records by Cheri Hudson Passey
22. Utilizing the HathiTrust Digital Library for Family History Research by Colleen Robledo Greene, MLIS
23. Bridging the Gap: Finding Ancestors in the United States between 1780 and 1840 by D. Joshua Taylor, MA, MLS
24. Discover the new Legacy Family Tree 9 by Geoff Rasmussen
25. How to Search Genealogy on Pinterest by Lisa Lisson
26. On the Record Trail of My LDS Immigrant Ancestor by Sunny Morton
27. Foundations in DNA 4 of 5: Mitochondrial DNA by Blaine Bettinger, Ph.D., J.D.
28. Genealogical Treasures in Irish Archives by David Ouimette, CG
29. Sanomalehtiarkisto sukututkijan apuna (Finnish) by Juha Vuorela
30. Getting Started in Family History - 8 - Online Research: Finding family on the Internet by Cheri Hudson Passey
Access to classes in the Legacy Family Tree Webinar library are available with an webinar membership. Not a member? Become one! Or watch one of our free classes here.
The annual Scottish ViC (virtual conference) has expanded! In response to a poll of past ViC attendees, the ViC will be divided into three separate one-day events. The first of these will take place on:
Saturday November 28, 2020:
HIGHLAND RESEARCH DAY
- Lorna Steele will present on the holdings of the Highland Archives
- Alison Diamond will present on the records held by the Duke of Argyll at Inverary Archives
- Karly Kehoe will present on the Highland Scots of Nova Scotia
- Alexander Thomson will present on the Cromarty Emigrants and the Ships That Took Them
- Paul Nixon will present on Scottish Regiments
- Robert Howie will be giving a virtual tour of Edinburgh highlighting the places associated with the Jacobites
Access to the recordings will remain open for 6 weeks following the day of presentations
Registration opens Saturday, August 1, 2020. Pre-Pandemic pricing of just $74cad ($55usd)
Friday, July 31, 2020
How to Set the Download Folder of Your Choice
Wednesday, July 29, 2020
ISBGFH will host a 2 day, intermediate level virtual institute on DNA presented by Dr Maurice Gleeson. Dr Gleeson will cover the following topics:
- What is your goal?
- Unleashing the power of “Ethnicity Estimates”
- Maximising your exposure to the DNA databases
- Privacy, Anonymity & Data Protection
- Sorting your matches into Paternal & Maternal matches
- Assigning matches to a particular ancestral line
- Using “tools” to maximum effect
- Combining DNA & paper record research
- Hooking your matches & keeping them engaged
- When to use Y, mitochondrial & X-DNA
Key Take-Home Messages will be illustrated by Case Studies throughout
This virtual institute will be LIVE. Registration will be limited so that everyone who registers can attend. Dr Gleeson will be scheduling one on one virtual consultations for those wishing his assistance with their DNA.
This will be held LIVE and as such registration is limited. We are now 75% full. Don’t wait to register or you may lose out on this wonderful opportunity. All sessions will be recorded and the recordings will be available to registrants for 6 weeks following the Virtual Institute.
Register here: https://www.isbgfh.com/DNA-VIRTUAL-INSTITUTE
Tuesday, July 28, 2020
Monday, July 27, 2020
Friday, July 24, 2020
Wednesday, July 22, 2020
Tuesday, July 21, 2020
Register for Webinar Wednesday: 50 More Websites Every Genealogist Should Know by Gena Philibert-Ortega
Test Your Webinar Connection
To ensure that your webinar connection is ready to go, click here.
Can't make it to the live event?
No worries. Its recording will be available for a limited time. Webinar Subscribers have unlimited access to all webinar recordings for the duration of their membership.
About the presenter
The webinar will be live on Wednesday, July 22, 2020 at:
- 2pm Eastern (U.S.)
- 1pm Central
- 12pm Mountain
- 11am Pacific
Here's how to attend:
- Register at www.FamilyTreeWebinars.com today. It's free!
- You will receive a confirmation email containing a link to the webinar.
- You will receive a reminder email both 1 day and 1 hour prior to the live webinar.
- Calculate your time zone by clicking here.
- Make sure you have the latest version of Java installed on your computer. Check at www.java.com.
- Check your GoToWebinar connection here.
- Click on the webinar link (found in confirmation and reminder emails) prior to the start of the webinar. Arrive early as the room size is limited to the first 1,000 arrivals that day.
- Listen via headset (USB headsets work best), your computer speakers, or by phone.
We look forward to seeing you all there!